In this tutorial I will explain what webhosting means and will also give you a recommendation on what I think is the best hosting solution for beginners, it does not mean that it will not be good for you as well if you already have a website up and running, but competition is in the market, and everybody has something good to offer.
In order for your website to be accesible after someone makes a search or simply puts your website’s domain name on the browser, it needs to be hosted or stored by a server or webhosting provider.
A webhosting provider is a company that provides and rent space in their servers where you can store your website’s files to be accessible via internet. The web storage is like a large hard disk where your files will be stored, but in this case people will have access to them because it is public.
When people put your website’s url or domain name of your website on a browser, they are sent to your webhosting or server and the server gives them access and shows them your website.
Table of Contents
Why do you need Webhosting?
1.- You need to have a hosted website so that it can be accessible for other people.
2.- Your website needs to be reliable. Webhosting companies use specific and dedicated servers to host your website’s files and show them to people at all times when they visit your site.
3.- Have full control of your website. Most hosting companies offer a control panel that is similar to Windows control panel, this allows you to monitor and control every aspect of you site.
There are many hosting providers out there and you might probably have already heard about some of the most popular, however I always recommend Ipage .
Here is why I recommend them:
- First of all I have all of my websites hosted by Ipage and they have always worked great for me, they also have a great support team, available 24/7.
- They have been a leader in web hosting market since 1998. For me that says a lot.
- They offer all kinds of plans, whether you have a huge business or you are just starting up with a new project.
- They give you a 30 days warranty or your money back.
- Best of all, they give you free domain registration for a year, and you can start your website with only $1.99 per month.
This great offer includes the following:
- You can register the domain you want for FREE.
- Unlimited storage available.
- You can register unlimited domain names.
- You can create unlimited MySQL databases.
- You will have access to audio and video support.
- Access to Website backup software.
- You will have access to online marketing guides
- You will get $100 Google AdWords offer (US only)
- You will also get $100 Bing search credit
- Free Yellowpages.com listing
- One toll-free phone number (US only)
Other bennefits that you can obtain by hosting your website with ipage, is a a very easy installation of WordPress. With this great feature you will be just one click away of launching your WordPress site.
They also provide access to manage files through FTP and File Manager as well as SQL Databases.
How to setup your new hosting account and get Free domain:
Follow this steps in order to establish your new webhosting account, in our next guide we will show you how to perform your WordPress instalation utlizing different methods.
- First of all you need to Click Here in order to get the promotion that I already shared here and clik on Sign Up Now.
- If you don’t have an existing domain name, follow the steps to register your new domain, remember it’s free for a whole year. Don’t forget to follow this guide : How to Choose a Domain Name When creating a Website. If you already have your registered domain name, then no worries, they will give you a us$9 credit that you will be able to use for anything you want.
- Complete your registration by filling out all your personal and billing information. Make sure that you uncheck all the additional features, since we are only interested on the Webhosting plan and the free domain.
Complete your registration and you will receive an email with the confirmation. Now you have your webhosting and domain name, you are only a few steps away from having your website up and running.
What should I look at before choosing a Webhosting Service?
This is a very important question that I really want you to pay attention to if this is the first time you are going to sign up for a webhosting service. And trust me when I say that it could save you some a big head ache, just to know that before you choose which hosting company is going to be the one hosting your website.
First of all, let’s go ahead and prepare a list of all of the important factors that you always need to take into account before you stablish business with any hosting company, whether you are a new blogger or you already have some experience, you should always keep these key factor in mind.
– Be aware of you own needs
There are multiple types of hosting solutions out there depending of what you need, here I am going to give you a brief description of the main different types of hosting solutions you can find out there, depending of what needs you have:
- Shared Hosting
- WordPress Hosting
- VPS Hosting
- Dedicated Server
The main factor that would determine what type of hosting solution you need is traffic volume, also you might also look at other things such as the type of website and files that you have, sometimes you might have a slow website althouhg you don’t have so many visitors, and it could be just because your hosting server does not have all the resources to handle the type of website that you have ( Let’s say for instance a website with a lot of dynamic multimedia elements).
Now let’s talk about each type of hosting solution individually so that you can have a clearer idea.
This is the most basic type of hosting plan that you will find out there, this hostng solution is mainly designed for websites or blogs that do not receive a very high amount of traffic, therefore is the most common hosting plan selected by begginers and new businesses. This type of hosting offers one single server for multiple users who have to share the resources.
If you are trying to establish a shared hosting services, you should be looking and comparing the following details:
- Hosting Package ( Storage Space, Monthly Bandwidth, Backups)
- Customer Support (You will definitely need help some times, and you want a hosting company that is always there)
- Control Panel (For me this is very important, you really want to be able to get you reports on your own and also manage your domain and files in case that you ever need to migrate your site or recover your website)
- Reporting and Statistics
- User’s review (This is also something very important, if you visit the website of a webhosting company they will obviously say great things about their services, other user’s will give you a better idea)
This is why I recommend Ipage, they do have a great control panel and a bunch of great features for the best price for webhosting. Sign up with a discount, only $1.99/mo.
Since WordPress is used by millios of users around the world in order to create new websites and blogs, hosting providers have created this hosting solucion especially designed to deal with websites that use many WordPress plugins and heavy wordpress themes. WordPress Hosting comes with specific features in order to provide improved performance:
- RAM Memory
- CDN (Content Delivery Network)
- Control Panel
- WordPress Support
- User’s review
In terms of server performance and high traffic, CPU and RAM would be the most determining factors.
-VPS (Virtual Private Server)
A virtual private server, as it’s name indicates is a hosting solution designed for websites which receive a lot more traffic and cannot be on a shared hosting, but are not big enough to be on a dedicated hosting which we will cover soon. VPS hosting can be self managed, which means that you can have all the control over your server’s configuration and you are able to see all the statistics. There are many hosting providers out there that can offer you a good shared hosting plan, but moving up to a VPS hosting can be a real nightmare. The only VPS hosting that I could honestly recommend based on my own experience is Blue Host.
Things to consider before selecting a vps hosting provider:
- CPU (Cores and Architecture)
- RAM memory (This is the one that executes the processes alogn with the cpu)
- Monthly Bandwith (This is a determining factor to the traffic that you can receive)
- Support (Always in case of any inconvenience you need to have someone to help you out)
Dedicated servers are the most advanced web hosting service, this is just renting a full server for exclusive use, having this way, complete control over the server.
Comparing a conventional web hosting service to a dedicated server, the differences are very significant, the performance limits of a dedicated server are established by the hardware that composes the server, this means that we can do all we want in terms of development. I honestly don’t have any experience to share as far as Dedicated Server.
Don’t forget that sharing is caring and also leave your comments or any suggestion about new articles.